Stakeholders from the Niger Delta region have demanded that the Federal Government should effect the relocation of Administrative and Operational Headquarters of International Oil Companies to the region .
This was among the set of 16 demands pressed on President Muhammadu Buhari at a crucial meeting in Abuja Tuesday.
The main issues included in the demands were as follows :
* Completion of major road projects in the region.
* The take-off of the maritime university.
* The full activation of ports in Niger Delta and other water ways.
* The relocation of international oil companies to the Niger Delta region.
* Others issues include the issuance of oil blocks to the states and other stakeholders
* The strengthening of the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC and the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs.
* Introduction of Fiscal federalism.
* Review of the presidential amnesty Programme
* Empowerment of Niger delta people
* Improvement of power supply;
* Security surveillance and protection of oil and gas infrastructure;
* Meeting the immediate need of the Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs;
* The effect of increased military presence in the Niger delta;
* The Ogoni clean-up and environmental remediation.
The question now is that, how well can the Buhari administration handle and negotiate on all these requests, in order to find a lasting solution to security concerns in the Niger Delta region.